April 30, 2012

From A Reader: Something Missing (With The PST)...

     In a 4/28/2012 posting to DSR, Ted Gross writes about the PST,  "...say what you will, McManus puts on a good show."  I saw several of the PST matches that were streamed online over the past few days and I would like to agree with Mr. Gross.  However, the word "show" kept coming to mind.  Why wasn't the word "competition" used?  Although I have no doubt that all of the PST players try their best to win each and every match in which they play, I still think that there is something missing, and I can't put my finger on it.

     I find it ironic that 300 miles away, in the same state, the PSA was staging a low level tournament in Rochester.  I love to watch competitive squash at all levels.  If I had to choose between watching the finals of the PSA tournament or the PST tournament Sunday afternoon, I would choose the PSA.  I wonder what choice other squash fans would make?

Thank you,
Wally Taylor
Dayton OH

4 comments:

  1. Ted Gross1:55 PM

    Wally, good points.

    At this stage, I believe the PST is somewhat of a "show" because a few players are under contract while the rest are competing for what I am guessing is an insignificant amount of prize money.

    What is surprising is that so few ex-collegiate players enter the PST events. This would certainly add a competitive edge to the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob Hanscom2:02 AM

    On Wally Taylor's Points:

    -I still think that there is something missing, and I can't put my finger on it.

    "Beauty (or squash competition) is in the eyes of the beholder!"

    - I would choose the PSA.

    "Why!? To be sure, the 'low-level' PSA event could not compete with the likes and play of David Palmer and Wael El Hindi!"

    - I wonder what choice other squash fans would make?

    "If given THAT choice, as they say, 'a no-brainer!' "

    On Ted Gross's Points:

    - At this stage, I believe the PST is somewhat of a "show" because a few players are under contract while the rest are competing for what I am guessing is an insignificant amount of prize money.

    "Under contract!? What 'contract?' To the PSA? It wouldn't matter to the PSA what the 'show" or "competition' is called...it's still the PST they have an issue with. However, with all that's going on, I doubt very much if they'll pursue any kind of 'banning' process."

    - What is surprising is that so few ex-collegiate players enter the PST events. This would certainly add a competitive edge to the tour.

    "No doubt, but with their (other) professional careers needing attention (especially these days of job availability) their time and energy has to be focused on earning a "real" living. Perhaps, once they're settled in the job marketplace, they will consider playing PST events. After all, THAT (PST) payday would have to come under the heading of a "part-time" job."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:57 PM

    Wally, good point. Perhaps it is because the players on the PST on part time touring players and don't rely on it for their livlihoood, no doubt if they did it would be a different state of affairs in the PST squash arena. Nonetheless, the PST reminds me of a few clubs I belonged to many years ago and you walk into the club and you see a small crowd outside one of the courts and you know some good squash is going on so you go over and lo and behold you find a couple of top 20 touring pros playing a match. It is immensely entertaining and great to watch, regardless of who wins. There isn't enough at stake to warrant fierce competion, as in cut throat competition on the Mathews / Wilstrop level. But it's great squash, up cllose and personal, it's very cool to see those guys play on club courts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:41 AM

    I agree with Squash from Delphi. It is still good squash.

    ReplyDelete