May 5, 2013

Reader: 'Wannabe Reporters' Writing for DSR


After reading two of your so-called "articles" in the past week, I suggest that you rename your publication to the Daily Squash Blog , which to me connotes more of opinions of wannabe reporters than any firm of objective journalism.    How childish was tonight's post that the Hyder team didn't get back to you.   Wow!   The unpaid volunteers at NY Squash were running a tournament and didn't respond?  Soooo terrible of them.   Doesn't Rob Dinerman live in NYC?   Spring for the $2.50 bus fare and send him over to report!!!!

And the mostly Greenwich jab about the mixed doubles?   Last time I looked, the tournament does change venues and I am sure that US Squash will confirm that entry was open to any doubles team, without regard to what state they were coming from!

Grow up, DSR, and why not publish this on the main page rather than burying it in your reader contribution section, unless you delete it entirely (which is my precise expectation).

Alan Goldberg
NYC

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:15 AM

    DSR is a tremendous achievement and pretty much a labor of love by Ted Gross. To blog daily, much less compile other blogs, tournament results, news stories about squash and other racquet sports, nurture a group novel, and post photos, videos, etc. from around the world and update it daily is something squashers and other readers should accept with gratitude and a lot of slack. Not unreasonable to expect some cooperation from tournaments and to lodge a minor complaint now and then.
    John Branston, Memphis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:23 AM

    I Objected to the criticism. There are other ways and for the record, Rob Dinerman a fine man, distinguished squash player and a very important part of our community.

    Alan Goldberg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe McManus11:57 PM

    Though I could not attend the Hyder tournament, I was interested in following the results of this very good event. To be honest, I was wondering why the DSR hadn't covered it. So, when I read that they were trying to get the results but couldn't, I understood.

    Greenwich does have many of the world's greatest doubles players living and working in close proximity. Saying so is ok.

    As someone who has, on more than one occasion, been on the receiving end of a DSR jab, I know what it feels like. But even then I love everything about the Daily Squash Report.

    I start every day with a cup of coffee and the Daily Squash Report. It is well named and well run. Our sport needs more people covering squash and its related events as well as the DSR does every day of the year.

    Joe McManus
    Commissioner and CEO
    Professional Squash Tour

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like DSR and while I don't always agree with Ted and Rob that is the nature of writing and reporting..... I wish we had DSR years ago. I also like that these other opinions are shown.... it's good to ponder on the perspectives of others. Life is never black and white so DSR is a forum for reading about the sport that we are fortunate to play... and occasionally seeing a perspective that we agree with and .... occasionally a perspective that we may not follow. I am clear that I am perfectly imperfect and I do not expect perfection from DSR, Ted, Rob, or ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:22 AM

    DSRj provides an incredible service and last I checked the editors do it for free, hence they VOLUNTEER as well and year round. This is the last year i will even think twice about following the Hyder, there were some great pro matches I was eager for the results. I couldn't get the results until much later through another source. The site was never updated even with the amateur matches. We criticize others to improve, instead of burrowing in the volunteer escape, why not take what two incredibly knowledgeable squash writers, players and pros and learn from them.

    ReplyDelete