November 1, 2017

Final Tribute to the Uptown Racquet Club, by Rob Dinerman


The starkness of the rubble graphically conveys what has happened to the once-magnificent (14 courts!) Uptown Racquet Club and, by extension, to the whole phenomenon of commercial squash in New York. For decades, Uptown, with its stable of exceptional pros (Stu Goldstein and Nancy Gengler prominently among them), was the face of squash's expansion to the many, even the masses. As social experiments go, it should always be remembered as an ambitious and grand one --- even though ultimately, it failed.
photo Eric Christiansen 

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:31 AM

    It was a special place. I never found another squash or social experience the likes of Uptown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were the straw that stirred the drink!

      Delete
  3. Georgetta Lordi Morque3:03 PM

    I'm glad I haven't been by there to see the rubble. How sad. This was the club where I first played squash and discovered a whole new world. It was a happening place to play, watch the top stars of the game and belong to something special. A fun chapter of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband, Allan Wood, and I met there. I worked there for many years to pay for my membership during and after college. Found this post by googling Uptown Racquet Club as we were talking with our kids about our 30th anniversary coming up this year. Though the club is gone, we go on!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. racquetball racquet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Racquetball is a big fitness and fun sport that has a lot of clubs around the US. And i am one of those who like to spend around $50 to $100 on best racquetball racquets and other accessories like racquetball strings and racquetball gloves.

    https://thepickleballpaddle.com/racquetball-racquets-intermediates/

    ReplyDelete