December 21, 2013

Sasha Cooke on JP Morgan CEO Jamie Dimon's Tennis-Themed Holiday Card

While I agree entirely that it is grotesque of Dimon and the ultra-rich to flaunt their wealth in the economy they crashed, the picture prompted a memory of what I believe may be the earliest mention of squash in fiction.  I don't have a copy here, but in one of the Sommerville and Ross "Irish R.M." stories, Phillipa's neice moves the furniture with one of the McRory boys to play squash in a back room.  ( The game makes very little noise as they wind up having rather more fun than that.)  The McRory boys are all individually  described as,"A bit of a lad, but nothing at all to the next youngest," one of my favorite lines.

Those stories were published around 1902, and I don't think I've encountered any earlier mentions of the game.

Anyone got one?

Cheers, Sasha


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:11 PM

    Sasha, I was a bit stunned by this. I have had this recurring dream for years that I am in a room, like a classroom or living room, and I'm trying to play squash around the furniture. I read this and thought, wow, that explains it, or at least in part. Very interesting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is an amazingly common dream among squash players - furniture gets in the way of play... it occurs for court tennis (real tennis ) players as well, as evidenced by a very long blog discussion among multiple players. For me, the symbolism is clear - the furniture of life gets in the way of what I would rather be doing; playing squash!

    ReplyDelete