March 7, 2014

Simple Instruction to Markers Would Clear Up Foot Faults

by Aubrey Waddy

 With reference to Geoff McCuen's ‘What’s On My Mind’, I agree. I believe that some players gain an advantage by the court location they’re able to reach more easily by footfaulting. It wouldn’t take much for the situation to be cleared up, a simple instruction to markers. 

Like everyone else, I keep my mouth shut on this when I’m marking, but I do always call foot fault on the admirable jokers who perform reverse angle serves, with the ball hitting the front wall, then the side wall on the service side, then, if they’ve executed well, a horrible parallel bounce along the back wall, parallel. I’ve never seen any of these serves carried out legally, with one foot still in the service box, and it can be an effective shot and therefore genuinely unfair.

PS the photo is of Nick Matthew in his recent semi-final against Daryl Selby in the British Championships in Manchester; I wonder where that left foot is going to be when he hits the ball (and the strike is actually on the receiver’s side of the court)



No comments:

Post a Comment